Contacts for More Information about Water Wells

Download 773K pdf file ("waterwells_Module11.pdf")PDF
     Subscribe to our free E-Newsletter, "Agri-News" (formerly RTW This Week)Agri-News
This Week
 The purpose of this module is to provide Albertans with a list of agencies and people who can help them with their rural water needs and problems. This is a topical list and each number (1 to 11) represents a separate topic. To use the reference simply skim through the topics until you find the appropriate agency or person who can help you with your specific request.
To access provincial government numbers toll-free, call 310-0000.

1. Information on farm water systems, water treatment, water quality, on-farm water management and programs
Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development
Agricultural Water Specialists 310-FARM (3276)

2. Information on provincial groundwater supplies or specific water well records
GroundWater/ Alberta Environment and Parks
Alberta water well Information Database

Groundwater Information Centre
11th Floor, Oxbridge Place
9820 - 106 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2J6
Phone: (780) 427-2770
Fax: (780) 427-1214
Microfiche and computer files of well drillers’ reports, water analysis and groundwater related reports are available. Over 500,000 records are on file.

3. Information on water well management

Working Well Program
The Working Well Program works to ensure safe and secure groundwater supplies for water well users in Alberta.
Contact: Rob Harris, Working Well Program Manager

4. Licensing the diversion and use of groundwater in Alberta
Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development

District Approvals Manager, Northern Region
EdmontonPeace River
111, 4999 - 98 Avenue
Twin Atria Building
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3
Telephone: (780) 427-7617
Fax: (780) 422-0528
Bag 900-5
Provincial Building
Peace River, Alberta T8S 1T4
Telephone: (780) 624-6167
Fax: (780) 624-6335

District Approvals Manager, Central Region
Spruce GroveRed Deer
250 Diamond Avenue
Spruce Grover, Alberta T7X 4C7
Telephone: (780) 960-8600
Fax: (780) 960-8605
3rd Floor, 4920 - 51 Street
Red Deer, Alberta T4N 6K8
Telephone: (403) 340-7052
Fax: (403) 340-5022

District Approvals Manager, Southern Region
2938 - 11 Street, NE
Calgary, Alberta T2E 7L7
Telephone: (403) 297-7602
Fax: (403) 297-2749
200 - 5 Ave, S Prov Building
Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 4L1
Telephone: (403) 381-5322
Fax: (403) 381-5337

5. Problems with well construction or licensed water well contractors
  • Contact water well contractor first.
  • Contact: Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development’s Environmental Hotline: 1-800-222-6514

6. Complaints about seismic activity, water wells affected by seismic activity, seismic trespass, and damage
  • Call seismic company first (if unsure of company, contact Municipal Administrator).
  • Problems on private land contact: Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development Phone: (780) 427-3932
  • Problems on public lands contact: Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development Phone: (780) 427-6597
These departments have investigators that will look into the problem and mediate complaints.

7. Complaints about water wells affected by oil and gas well activities (including coal bed methane)
  • Contact oil or gas drilling company first.
  • Contact: Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development’s Environmental Hotline: 1-800-222-6514
  • If not resolved, the “Water Well Restoration or Replacement Program” is available through the Farmers’ Advocate’s office.
    Phone: 310-FARM

8. Groundwater contamination
Contact: Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development’s Environmental Hotline: 1-800-222-6514

9. Water Analysis
Water can be tested by a variety of laboratories, depending on the requirements.
  • When water is used for human consumption and human health is a concern, a routine chemical analysis and bacteriological analysis can be done. Contact your local health unit. There may be a nominal fee required.
  • When water testing is for mortgage approvals, livestock use and other non-health related purposes, you must use a private lab. Check your yellow pages under "Laboratories."

10. Private sewage systems requirements
11. Other Information Sources
  • Alberta Water Well Drilling Association
    Box 130
    Lougheed, Alberta T0B 2V0
    Phone: (780) 386-2335

Other Documents in the Series

  Water Wells That Last
Understanding Groundwater
Planning Your Water System
Design and Construction of Water Wells
Water Well Drilling Agreements
Monitoring and Maintenance of your Water Well
Shock Chlorination
Troubleshooting Water Well Problems
Protecting Your Well From Contamination
Plugging Abandoned Wells
Groundwater Management
Contacts for More Information about Water Wells - Current Document
Other Resources
Share via
For more information about the content of this document, contact Murray Tenove.
This document is maintained by Deb Sutton.
This information published to the web on May 28, 2001.
Last Reviewed/Revised on April 24, 2018.