If you would like to learn about upcoming events and other Explore Local projects as well as receive the quarterly Field Notes e-newsletter, please fill out and submit this form.
Explore Local Events - Coming Events At-A-Glance
- The cost for all workshops and tours is $25 per person, unless otherwise noted.. Webinars are offered free of charge.
- Registration deadlines for all Explore Local events are one week prior to the event date, unless otherwise noted
- To register for any of the Explore Local workshops or tours listed below, contact the Ag Info Centre at 1-800-387-6030. Registering for webinars is done through the link provided after the webinar description.
Marketing Essentials | HR Essentials | Getting into... | Regulations | Productivity | Tours | Conferences
No "Marketing Essentials" webinars have been planned at this time. Please check back as events will be added as they are scheduled.
Marketing Essentials - Intro to Marketing
This one day workshop will focus on practical information and tools to help you develop and implement an effective marketing strategy for your business. You’ll learn about the five “P”s of marketing (Product –Positioning- Place- Price- Promotion); see examples of how to work through each of the ‘P’s; and start on your own marketing strategy.
- Date: April 12, 2017 Location: Airdrie Agriculture Centre, Main Floor, 97 East Lake Ramp NE, Airdrie
Interesting stories about you and your business are often your most effective sales tools. They build customer commitment and loyalty. If you are a producer, a processor or an agricultural organization interested in learning how to take your stories to the next level and turn storytelling into a tangible marketing skill, then this workshop is for you.
- Date: April 19, 2017 Location: Airdrie Agriculture Centre, Main Floor, 97 East Lake Ramp NE, Airdrie
No "HR Essentials" webinars have been planned at this time. Please check back as events will be added as they are scheduled.
No "HR Essentials" workshops have been planned at this time. Please check back as events will be added as they are scheduled.
Thinking of Getting into...
No "Getting Into" webinars scheduled at this time. Please check back as webinars will be added as they are scheduled.
Getting Into Local Foods
This workshop targets those individuals thinking about starting a farm direct marketing business and who have more questions than answers. Learn what the different marketing channel options are, their pros and cons and then hear from the regulatory agencies about their services and the different pieces of legislation you need to be aware of before you get started. Three Locations!
Getting Into On-Farm Sales
- Date: March 21, 2017 Location: Lethbridge Agriculture Centre, 5401 1st Avenue South, Lethbridge CANCELLED
- Date: March 22, 2017 Location: Airdrie Agriculture Centre, Main Floor, 97 East Lake Ramp NE, Airdrie
- Date: March 23, 2017 Location: Stettler Provincial Building, 4705 49 Avenue, Stettler CANCELLED
Interested in learning more about what it takes to have a successful on-farm farm direct marketing business? Are you interested in having people come to your farm for a u-pick or market garden but aren't sure what to do beyond growing your products? Then this workshop is for you.
- Date: April 4, 2017 Location: Leduc Agriculture Business Centre, 6547 Sparrow Drive, Leduc
Food Safety at the Farmers' Market
Learn the ins and outs of the Food Regulation as it applies to your Alberta approved farmers' market sales. Carol Brittain, public health inspector with Alberta Health Services in Airdrie, will share the requirements you need to meet in order to safely sell your food products.
Date: April 5, 2017
Time: 9:00 am - 10:00 am
Click this link to register
Troubleshooting Shelf Life
One of the challenges of producing your own processed food product is knowing how long the product is good for. This workshop will help small scale food processors understand the process of determining shelf life, pH and water activity testing and much more. Two locations! Additional details about this workshop will be posted as they are finalized.
- Date: April 11, 2017 Location: Airdrie Provincial Building, Theatre Room, 97 East Lake Ramp NE, Airdrie
Food Labelling for Local Markets
This workshop will guide you through the basic food labelling requirements and how they apply to your farm direct marketed food products. It will also outline the new labelling requirements and proposed legislative changes. This workshop targets producers and processors selling food products direct to consumers through farmers’ markets, on-farm stores, CSAs, and other direct-to-consumer market channels.
- Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 Location: Agriculture Centre 97 East Lake Ramp NE, Airdrie
- Date: Thursday, April 13, 2017 Location: Agri-Food Business Centre 6547 Sparrow Drive, Leduc
No Productivity sessions planned at this time. Please check back as events will be added as they are scheduled.
No tours have been planned at this time. Please check back as events will be added as they are scheduled.
No conferences have been planned at this time. Please check back as events will be added as they are scheduled.
Access other Coming Events listed with Alberta Agriculture and Forestry.