Regulatory Process for Siting New or Expanded Confined Feeding Operations

Subscribe to our free E-Newsletter, "Agri-News" (formerly RTW This Week)Sign up for our
Program Information


Natural Resources Conservation Board

For Further Information Contact:

Tel: 866-383-6722

Program Details
  All new or existing confined feeding operations or manure storage facilities in Alberta are required to make an application for approval, registration, or authorization to the Natural Resources Conservation Board (NRCB) before beginning any construction or expansion.

The Agricultural Operation Practices Act defines a confined feeding operation as:

“Fenced or enclosed land or buildings where livestock are confined for the purpose of growing, sustaining, finishing or breeding by means other than grazing and any other building or structure directly related to that purpose but does not include residences, livestock seasonal feeding and bedding sites, equestrian stables, auction markets, race tracks or exhibition grounds."

For information on this process, visit the Natural Resources Conservation Board website, the 2008 Reference Guide: Agricultural Operation Practices Act and the Agricultural Operation Practices Act and Regulations.

Confined feeding operator and have questions about the regulations or how to apply for a permit, please contact their nearest NRCB regional office.

Share via
For more information about the content of this document, contact Ag-Info Centre.

Last Reviewed/Revised on March 6, 2018.