Fish Culture Licence

Subscribe to our free E-Newsletter, "Agri-News" (formerly RTW This Week)Sign up for our
Licence Information


Alberta Agriculture and Forestry

For Further Information Contact:

Tel: 780-422-1472 Fax: 780-422-4513
Downloadable Forms
2018 Alberta Fingerling Fish Suppliers 36K
Recreational Fish Licence 53K
Class A Commercial Fish Culture Licence 2019 60K
Class B Commercial Fish Culture Licence 2019 58K
Class C Commercial Fish Culture Licence 2019 58K

Licence Details
  Licence Details

Alberta Agriculture and Forestry (AF) issues three types of fish culture licences on behalf of Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) under the authority of the Alberta Fisheries Act and its supporting regulation.

A Recreational Fish Culture Licence allows the holder to keep cultured fish, as specified, in the water body named on the licence. This licence is intended for the recreational, non-commercial use of the applicant. Fish cannot be sold under the authority of this licence.

Recreational Fish Culture licences are $10 per year or $50 for a five-year period. New applicants, or applicants who have allowed their licence to lapse for one year or more, will also be required to pay an additional $42.00 to have the water body inspected. The water body must be inspected to ensure it is situated on privately-owned land and isolated from other water to the point that stocking fish will not adversely affect the environment or native fish.

A Commercial A Fish Culture Licence allows the holder to sell as well as keep live Category 1 species of fish as specified on the licence. This licence is intended for those operating fish to recreation, commercial and retail purposes. The annual fee is $100.00.

A Commercial B Fish Culture Licence also allows the holder to sell and keep live Category 1 and 2 species of fish to commercial and retail outlets only. The licensed premises are limited to "contained waters." Contained waters are waters held in a man-made aquarium or other impervious container that is normally housed within a building, OR waters held in a man-made reservoir that isolates the water in it from flowing into other water sources, and must be completely lined with an impervious material. Facilities must be protected from predators. The annual fee is $100.00.

A Commercial C Fish Culture Licence allows for cooperative fish licence holders to keep live Category 1 species of fish as specified on the licence. Fish may be harvested for a fee or sold to the public, but all fish must be dead and accompanied by a bill of sale before being removed from the premises. The annual fee is $100.00.

What kinds of fish can I stock in my pond or fish culture facility?
Table 1 shows the species of cultured fish eligible under each licence. Goldfish and Koi are considered cultured fish only if they are possessed at a location that is not within a person's principal residence and the fish are being kept for the purpose of selling wholesale. The Licensing Section will not issue a licence for any species of fish not included in Table 1.

Table 1. Cultured Fish Eligible for Licencing

Category 1 Species for:
Recreational & Commercial 'A'
Category 2 Species for:
Commercial 'B'
Category 1 Species for:
Commercial 'C'
Rainbow trout
Brook trout
Brown trout
Coho salmon
Freshwater prawn
American eel
Arctic Char
Bigmouth Buffalo Fish
Rainbow trout
Brook trout
Brown trout
Rainbow trout
Brook trout
Brown trout

How long does it take to obtain a licence?
First-time applications will usually be inspected and processed within two weeks. Allow one more week for delivery of the licence by mail. Unfavourable weather or poor field conditions may delay this process.

Will I require any other licences?
In some instances, it will be necessary to obtain a licence to use and divert water before a fish culture licence can be issued. For more information, please call Alberta Environment, Water Approval at (780) 427-5296 in Edmonton.

What is the restricted area?
There is a geographic area in Alberta where special conditions apply due to the sensitive nature of the surrounding natural fisheries. An area roughly described as the south-west quarter of the province is restricted to stocking Rainbow trout only.

If you are unsure as to the location of your water body in relation to these zones, please contact the Aquaculture section's licencing coordinator for more information.

Can I licence a pond on public land that I lease from the government?
No, licences will not be issued for ponds located on public land. You can, however, receive a licence for a pond located on land that you lease if the land is privately owned.

Can I move native fish, caught in other water bodies, to my pond?
No, it is illegal to take, use or attempt to use live fish or fish eggs taken from public water for stocking a fish culture premise.

Can I licence a pond that is owned jointly by me and my neighbour?
Yes, but first your neighbour must sign the application form giving his/her consent to allow you to operate a fish culture facility.
Share via
For more information about the content of this document, contact Ag-Info Centre.

Last Reviewed/Revised on January 18, 2019.