Tree Cutting Permits

Temporary Non-Commercial Timber Permits

Tree cutting permits – buy now!In Alberta, a valid temporary timber permit (TM66) is required for small-scale, non-commercial or personal access to timber and trees on provincial Crown land.

This permit grants the holder the legal authority to harvest in designated areas.

Before You Buy Your Permit

Remember: Mountain Pine Beetle Infested Trees Must Not Be Cut or Transported for Firewood!

You can help manage Alberta's current mountain pine beetle infestation. Look for signs of mountain pine beetle activity before you begin cutting, and report any infestations that you find. For more details, see:

Who Is Eligible to Buy a Temporary Timber Permit?

If you wish to obtain a timber permit, you must
  • be over the age of 18
  • be a resident of Alberta
  • be in good standing with the Crown relating to timber, grazing and land use
Types of Temporary Timber Permits

There are two types of temporary permits for non-commercial personal use:

Forest Product Tag (TM66)


$5.00 (plus GST)

Valid For

30 days from the time of purchase


This permit entitles individuals to remove one of the following:

  • 20 trees less than 2.5 metres in height for transplanting

  • Up to 5 cubic metres of roundwood timber (usually used for firewood). The number of trees cut depends on tree species and size, but it is approximately:
  • 5 to 7 large coniferous trees (generally trees with needles) OR
  • 4 to 6 deciduous trees (generally trees with leaves)

Trees and timber are to be cut from designated Crown Provincial Land only. The permit must be with you at all times while cutting or transporting.

Where Can I Purchase this Permit?

Forest Product Tag Timber Permits can be purchased online (see above), or at participating Agriculture and Forestry Offices.

For details see:

Local Timber Permit (LTP)


$21.00 (includes GST)

Additional Costs

A minimum security deposit of $1,000 is required in case of any site degradation. The deposit is refundable if no incidence of degradation occurs.

The holder must also pre-pay timber dues and the reforestation levy on harvested volume as stipulated in the Timber Management Regulation. To view the regulation, visit the Alberta Queen's Printer website at:

After harvesting is completed, the permit must be returned to the issuing Agriculture and Forestry (AF) Office for the return of any prepaid timber dues, reforestation charges or deposits if the application is made within one year.

Valid For

Expires annually on April 30


This permit entitles individuals to remove up to 50 cubic metres of timber for personal, non-commercial use (no resale). The number of trees cut depends on tree species and size but it is approximately:
  • 50 to 70 large coniferous trees (generally trees with needles) OR
  • 40 to 60 large deciduous trees (generally trees with leaves)
The LTP must be obtained by visiting your local Alberta Agriculture and Forestry Office.

Related Information

Commercial Tree Permits and Licences

Agriculture and Forestry (AF) issues permits and licences for personal and commercial use of the province's timber resources.
For more information about the content of this document, contact Wendy Machan.
This information published to the web on March 7, 2016.
Last Reviewed/Revised on January 31, 2019.