Description | Eligibility | Assistance | Equipment rental rates | Terms and conditions | Application form
The Water Pumping Program is a service designed to assist producers obtain water for domestic and livestock use.
Any full time Alberta producer who is experiencing water shortages for domestic and livestock use, will have priority for equipment use.
For a nominal fee, a producer or group of producers can rent six-inch or eight-inch aluminum pipe and pump(s) from the department to fill dugouts or other suitable catch basins from nearby water sources. Equipment is delivered to the pumping site and technical assistance is provided for proper operation.
Contact the following Alberta Agriculture and Forestry dispatch locations for further information or to apply for the use of this equipment. An Agricultural Water Specialist can also be contacted through these offices if you require recommendations on constructing or maintaining a safe/secure water supply.
Equipment Rental Rates
The rental rate is applied to the first 48 hours after receiving the equipment. This time period allows one full day for setup and dismantling. An additional one day rental will be charged for each additional 24 hour period, or any portion thereof, during which time the Renter has the equipment.
Equipment is rented on an equipment unit per day basis (as defined by the table below). Each trailer can hold up to 1 mile of 6" pipe. The Rental Rate applies to the April 1st to October 31st regular pumping season. Pumping outside of this period is not encouraged and if approved, is twice the Rental Rate.
* Applies to regular pumping season (April 1 - October 31).
(Price per Day)
1st Pump and Trailer (6" pipe)
1st Trailer (6" pipe)
2nd Pump and Trailer (6" pipe)
2nd Trailer (6" pipe)
Note: The GST has not been included and will be charged in full to the above rates.
Example: How much will it cost to rent a pump with 2 miles of 6" pipe?
1 Equipment unit (pump with trailer and pipe) = $500.00
1 Additional trailer with pipe = $150.00
Total cost = $650.00 x 1.05 (GST) = $682.50
Terms & Conditions
Intent of Program: To provide assistance to producers in securing adequate water supplies for domestic and livestock use during times of drought.
1. Equipment: In this contract, "equipment" means:
(a) Power take-off (PTO) pump together with screened intake and discharge hose.
(b) Additional pumps.
(c) Up to one mile of 6" or 8" aluminum pipe, on a trailer equipped with electric brakes and lights for highway travel.
(d) Each additional mile of pipe and trailer.
2. The rental rate is for the first 48 hour period or any part thereof, following receipt of the equipment. This allows one full day for setup and dismantling. An additional full rental rate shall be charged for each additional 24 hour period or any part thereof, during which the Renter has the equipment.
3. The Renter is responsible for all damages to the equipment, other than ordinary wear and tear, while the equipment is in the Renter's possession. Alberta Agriculture and Forestry will determine the monetary amount of such damage.
4. The Renter will pay a damage deposit equal to the estimated rental charge before the equipment is released. This damage deposit will be applied to any damage to the equipment. The Renter will be responsible for any damage costs over and above the damage deposit. The balance will be applied to the total rental charge of the equipment.
5. Payment shall be made to Alberta Agriculture and Forestry when the equipment is returned. All payments made by cheque are payable to the Government of Alberta. Alberta Agriculture and Forestry will provide official receipts.
6. Alberta Agriculture and Forestry staff have the right to enter lands to inspect the equipment or observe its use.
7. Alberta Agriculture and Forestry is not responsible for any claims, actions, suits, proceedings, costs, expenses, damages, and liabilities (including attorney's fees) arising out of, connected with, or resulting from the rental of equipment, including, without limitation, the delivery, possession, use, operation, or return of the equipment.
8. Time is of the essence in this contract and in each and all of its provisions.
9. The Renter will notify Alberta Agriculture and Forestry as soon as possible but no later than completion of the pumping job, if any accident occurs, or if the equipment is damaged, stolen, or found to be deficient.
10. The Renter agrees the equipment will be used in accordance with the intent of the program and will not be used by any other person or for any other purpose.
11. The Renter will comply with the instructions provided and with all applicable laws in the use of the equipment.
12. This contract and the instructions are the entire agreement between the Renter and Alberta Agriculture and Forestry for the rental of the equipment. It supercedes all previous negotiations and documents relating to this rental.
13. The Renter is responsible for obtaining the license to divert water, permission to operate alongside public roads, to cross public roads, or permission to cross private lands.
Note: Applicants should be aware that a temporary diversion license(s) is usually required to draw water from rivers, streams or permanent bodies of water (e.g. lakes, sloughs). Applicants are encouraged to contact their local Regional Support Person (Water) of Alberta Environment for information on obtaining this license. The phone numbers are listed below.
Spruce Grove: 780-960-8600
Peace River: 780-624-6167
An application form (along with an example) for the AF Water Pumping Program is available here for your convenience. You can print off the blank form, complete it, then mail it to the Edmonton Office with your payment. The address is located below. Please retain a copy for your records.
All applications received are placed on a priority list for access to the equipment. You must read the Terms and Conditions and ensure that all requirements have been met before using the equipment.
A coordinator or driver for your area will contact you to coordinate equipment delivery arrangements. If the "Date Wanted" is more than one month away, they will not likely contact you until close to that time.
If you have any questions about your payment, please contact the number listed below.
Mail your application and payment to:
Water Pumping Program
Irrigation and Farm Water Division
Rm. 206, 7000 - 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5T6
Phone toll free: 310-0000, then dial 780-422-5000
Payment by Mastercard or Visa is available by calling the number listed above during our office hours: Monday to Friday 8:15 AM - 4:30 PM or online at www.agriculture.alberta.ca/payment
Application Form - 40 KB
Example - 443 KB
Note: To fill dugouts from crown water bodies (basically anything other than a dugout), a Temporary Diversion License (TDL) is usually required from Alberta Environment. Click on the link below for the Alberta Environment form and contact information if required. Do not send the completed TDL form to AF.