CropChoice$ Computer Software: information page
CropChoice$ Computer Software has been upgraded to Version 4.10
What's in this version | What can CropChoice$ do for me? | CropChoice$ features | System requirements | Acknowledgements | Feedback and Questions | Download CropChoice$
What's in this Version
What Can CropChoice$ Do for Me?
- CropChoice$ Version 4.10 for 2016 contains updated cost profiles and crop insurance information.
- Regional benchmark costs of production have been updated where available. For best results ENTER YOUR OWN PRODUCTION COSTS. THEY BEST REFLECT WHAT HAPPENS ON YOUR FARM.
- You will be able to enter up to 32 fields in each scenario and compare 8 cropping scenarios in this version, which will run on Windows 2000 or better.
- Files that were saved on previous versions can be opened and the new changes will be incorporated into the analysis.
- CropChoice$ helps you calculate expected total margins and probabilities based on your knowledge of soil and moisture conditions, along with long term yield and price expectations.
- You can create a "base" cropping plan, then compare it to other different scenarios.
- You will be able to choose a plan that works for your operation by looking at forecasted margins and their probability of success.
- This version uses 2016 Crop Insurance and crop cost information.
- At release time, “insurance coverage prices” for alfalfa seed, fescue seed, potatoes, sugar beets and timothy seed was not available. This version uses the 2016 prices for this crop. This may affect your insured crop plan results but should still give reasonable estimates.
- Uses "worst-best-most likely" values for prices and yields.
- Presents contribution margins and gross margins in easy to understand statements, tables and graphs
- Evaluates the effects of different risk management strategies, such as adjusting your crop mix, purchasing crop insurance, and renegotiating your land rental agreements.
- CropChoice$ is based on yields and prices from real Alberta farms as well as Crop Insurance premiums and coverage levels provided by Alberta’s Agricultural Financial Services Corporation. CropChoice$ should not be used for financial forecasting purposes outside of the province of Alberta.
- Pentium with Intel, Celeron, AMD Processor
- Windows 2000 or better.
CropChoice$ was produced by the Economics Branch of Alberta Agriculture and Forestry with long standing support from the Livestock & Farm Business Management Branch and Ag-Info Centre. We very much appreciate the excellent support in resources and expertise we received from our partners: the Agriculture & Food Council through its Innovation in Agribusiness Management Fund, and the Agriculture Financial Services Corporation (AFSC).
Feedback and Questions
To provide feedback or if you have any questions please contact:
The Alberta Ag-Info Centre
Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
Phone: 310-FARM (3276).
This information is maintained by Rawlin Thangaraj
Last Revised/Reviewed March 24, 2016Top of Document