Foreign Ownership of Agricultural Land in Alberta

  From the November 27, 2017 Issue of Agri-News
Subscribe to our free E-Newsletter, "Agri-News" (formerly RTW This Week)Agri-News
This Week
     Agri-News HomeAgri-News Home
 The Farmers’ Advocate Office (FAO) has created a fact sheet to provide information about foreign ownership of agricultural land in Alberta.

“In Alberta, there is legislation and regulations that restrict the acquisition of prime agricultural and recreational land by non-Canadians and foreign-controlled corporations,” states Jeana Schuurman, rural engagement and communications specialist with the FAO. The Agricultural and Recreational Land Ownership Act and Foreign Ownership of Land Regulations refer to prime agricultural and recreational land as “controlled land.” This does not include land within a city, town, or village.

“Unless they apply for an exemption, non-Canadians and foreign-controlled corporations can only own up to two parcels of land, which cannot exceed 20 acres in total,” explains Schuurman. “This legislation does not affect the ability of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to buy agricultural land.”

For more information, please see the fact sheet on the FAO website under Rural Disputes.


Jeana Schuurman
310-FARM (3276)

view Agri-News RSS FeedAgri-News RSS Feed      Share via

For more information about the content of this document, contact Jeana Schuurman.
This document is maintained by Caitlynn Reesor.
This information published to the web on November 9, 2017.
Last Reviewed/Revised on November 23, 2017.