| ||This file is used when you can identify the lost tag or know the lost tag number from a specific animal and the new replacement tag number. With this process, the lost tag number is retired, and the birth date information previously entered is transferred to the new tag applied.
Print off this information for easy reference before starting.
A "Source Account Number" is required as part of the data in the CCIA (Canadian Cattle Identification Agency) Excel spreadsheets. The account number locates your file in the CCIA database, and allows you to upload your completed information. If you do not have this number, refer to the "Obtaining your Source Account Number" document in this series before proceeding.
The spreadsheet should remain open on the screen. Proceed to step 5 below.
|1)||Click on the link: Cross Reference to access the Excel file.
- The "Excel spreadsheet" screen appears.
- Left click on the “File” box in the top left corner of the screen.
- A drop down menu appears. Left click on "Save As"
- If a gray box titled "Enter Network Password" screen appears left click on "cancel"
- A “Save As” screen appears.
- In the white box titled "Save in" at the top of the box, there is a location indicated where the file will be stored. Write this location down. (i.e.: My documents) If you wish to change the location, do it now and record where the file is stored.
- Under the large white box, there is a File name box. It indicates the name of the file. If you wish to change the file name before saving the file (i.e.: to Calf crop 2006) do so now. Write down the file name used.
- Left click on the "Save" box to the right of where you changed the file name. The grid spreadsheet should remain open on the screen.
- At the very bottom of the screen, a gray box on the same level as the Start button, it reads “CTLS Resource C…”.
- Right click on the “CTLS box. A pop up menu with the option “Close” appears.
- Right click on the “Close” button to exit from the CCIA link.
If you cannot get the file to open, start the Internet browser (the blue "e" near the Start button at the bottom left of the screen). In the address bar (the white box near the top of the page starting with http://, remove all the text and
To transfer the file and register the cross reference information to the CCIA website; start the Internet explorer running, in the address bar (the white box near the top of the page starting with http://, remove all the text and
|1)||Type: support.canadaid.ca to access the CCIA template website.. |
|2)||The "CLTS RESOURCE CENTRE:" screen appears.
- Under Quick Links click on Producer Events
- In the sixth row down titled "Cross Reference" and in the fifth column titled "Template" left click with the mouse on the green Download button. A file download screen appears for a few seconds.
- A grey box appears. Left click on “save target as” text.
- A second box titled “Save As” appears. In the big white area in the box, right click on the choices until you are happy where the file will be stored. Write down the location indicated in the small white box at the top of the save as screen. (i.e.: My documents)
- In the small “File name” box located below the big white area, Left click in the area, delete the CLT_ title in the box, and rename the file to a name you will remember (i.e.: Cross reference tags calf crop 2006). Write down the file name.
- Left click on the “Save” box to the right of where you changed the file name.
|3)||The CCIA “Templates and Instructions” table replaces the excel grid screen. This file needs to be closed before proceeding.
- Left click “file ” from the menu bar in upper left corner of the screen.
- Left click “close” from the drop down menu.
|This completes the download of the file to your computer. You can now add information to the spreadsheet when you are not connected on line.
To add information to the spreadsheet;
|4)||Start the Excel program. Left click “file” from the menu bar in the upper left corner of the screen.
- From the drop down menu left click “open.” A dialogue box will appear. .
- Left click the file titled CLTS_CROSSREF_Template_v1_6.xls or the name you gave to the file (i.e.: Cross reference calf birth records 2006) and left click “open” from the bottom left corner of the insert box. The file should open. If the file name is not present in the box, left click the folder where the file was saved (from #2). Then go through the steps mentioned above.
|5)||In the Excel spreadsheet, there are boxes across the top of the spreadsheet that contains red text. Each column with red text requires mandatory information for the database, and must be filled in.
- “EVENT TYPE” box in column A indicates which type of event being registered. In this case, cross referencing tag information is being supplied. Enter “crossref” (one word with no spaces) in each row that information is being added. It can be either in upper or lower case letters.
- “EVENT DATE” box in column B is today’s date. Enter the date as yyyymmdd with not spaces or dividers between year, month, or day. Enter or copy this in each line that data is entered.
- “SOURCE ACCOUNT” number in column C is the “A” number obtained as the first step in the process or is the same as what was used when entering the birth date information. Enter this in each line that data is entered.
- “TAG START” in column D is requesting the 9-digit code for one of the two “paired” tag (either the one being replaced or the new number, it does not matter).
- “TAG TYPE” in column E requires the letter “c” to be entered indicating that it is a CCIA tag.
- “ALT TAG” in column F requires the 9-digit code for the second tag in the pair to be entered.
- “ALT TAG TYPE” in column requires the letter “c” to be entered indicating that it is a CCIA tag. .
|6)||When all information has been entered,
- Save the data by left clicking on “File ” from the upper left menu bar, and left click on “Save As” from the drop down menu.
- A box will appear in the screen. The bottom text box in the insert has text “Save as Type:” and a white box with a down arrow on the right hand side.
- Left click on the down arrow on the right, and a second box appears.
- Left click on the down arrow within this second box to show more selections. When “CSV (Comma delimited)(*csv) appears, left click on the CSV line. This transfers to the information back to the first box.
- Left click on the “Save” to the right of the white box. The name of the file is the same as what was created in #2 above.
This completes the procedure to cross reference tag information.
|1)||Type: www.clia.livestockid.ca to access the CCIA website.
- The User login screen appears. Enter your "user name" and "password"
- The Welcome Back screen appears. Left click on the blue text of the second option on the page "Option 2: "File upload (in blue) Submit animal and tag information, including birth dates through a file (including Excel spreadsheet)"
- Left click on the "Browse" button. A screen titled "My documents" appears. Find the file that you created (ie: CLTS_CROSSREF_Template_v1_6.xls) that was saved in step 2 above.
- Left click twice on the file. The title will be transferred to the Submit a Data File page.
- When the title is in the box, left click on the Upload box to the right
- A Conformation page appears and asks "are you sure you want to submit the file for "A12344567". Left click on the Submit box
- A Submit events: Done page appears. Write down the transaction number for future reference. This number is needed to check if the information was collected by CCIA or if errors have occurred.
You should confirm that the data was accepted onto the CCIA database.
If you have questions or problems, contact CCIA at 877-909-2333. If in Alberta, call 310-3276 and ask for Lisa.
Prepared by Barry Yaremcio, Beef/Forage Specialist, Ag-Info Centre, Agriculture and Rural Development