Rural Health Care
Following consultations with more than 100 communities, action is being taken to improve access to health-care services in rural Alberta.
The Rural Health Services Review Committee has delivered its final report and recommended actions – a number of which are underway, including:
Alberta’s Rural Communities Their Economic Contribution to Alberta and Canada
The Conference Board of Canada’s landmark study on the economic contribution of rural Alberta is a comprehensive overview of the rural economy. The Conference Board of Canada estimated Alberta's rural economic footprint at $77 billion annually.
The report includes:
Webinar: The Economic Contribution of Alberta's Rural Communities Update.
- Demographic trends and key economic indicators in rural Alberta
- Sector-specific data on employment, housing, and gross domestic product (GDP) for rural municipalities
- Economic outlooks on population, employment, energy and selected industries.
Alberta leads in access to high-speed Internet
Rural and Small Town Alberta Factsheets
High-speed Internet access is available to more than 98 per cent of Alberta households through the Final Mile Rural Connectivity Initiative, including the Final Mile Rural Community Program, and the Central Alberta Satellite Solution.
Click here for Factsheets on rural Alberta and trends. Includes:
For more Alberta statistics visit the Alberta Office of Statistics and Information.
- Aboriginal Identity
- Health Service Providers per Capita
- Population Change
- Labour Force
Business Incubators in Alberta and Canada
Attracting and Retaining People to Rural Alberta
- Information on business incubators located in Alberta and other provinces of Canada.
- Includes brief profiles and contact information.
Economic Development Resource Directory
- A resource guide for Alberta rural communities seeking to attract and retain population to address their long-term economic needs.
- Includes information and links to web based resources, initiatives and programs.
- Economic development resources for rural communities and organizations
- Includes links to resources, tools, initiatives and programs
Alberta Innovates: Bio Solutions - Alberta Bio Future Equipment Utilization program
Companies are invited to apply to the Alberta Bio Future Equipment Utilization program. The purpose of this new $2.5 million program is to:
For further information and application guidelines visit the Alberta Innovates website.
- Expand a competitive, sustainable and profitable bioindustrial sector;
- Increase the value from Alberta’s renewable biomass resource, and;
- Provide opportunities to diversify the provincial economy.
Alberta’s Small Business Strategy is a short-term action plan that responds to the needs expressed by Alberta’s small businesses and makes it simpler to do business in the province.
For more information view the link.
- The strategy supports Alberta’s recently released Economic Development Framework.
- The Framework will strengthen and broaden the Alberta economy and build resilience to boom-and-bust economic cycles.
Business Vitality Alberta
The Alberta Urban Municipalities Association (AUMA) developed Business Vitality Alberta to maximize the business and economic vitality of small communities.
State of Business Vitality in Rural Alberta
- Designed to be self-administered by communities and community organizations
- Modeled after the successful Business Vitality Initiative (BVI)
- View the supporting manual, survey, sample results spreadsheet, and training video.
This study outlines the results of 12 rural Alberta communities that participated in the Business Vitality Initiative (BVI) between 2008 and 2012. The BVI:
- Helps communities assess their capacity to work with and support entrepreneurs
- Foster small business growth
- Measures the business environment based on perceptions of community leaders, business people and citizens
- The study is available on-line.