Crop Diversification Centre North - History

 
 
Subscribe to our free E-Newsletter, "Agri-News" (formerly RTW This Week)Agri-News
This Week
 
 
 
 CDC North has a long history with Alberta's horticultural industry. In 1949, the Department of Lands and Mines started the development of the current facility as the Provincial Tree Nursery. The Nursery was transferred to the Department of Agriculture in 1951 and became the primary source of shelterbelt trees for the provincial shelterbelt program. In the 1960s and 1970s, the program expanded to include seed extraction and the maintenance of a seed bank. Extension and research in vegetables, greenhouse crops, nursery crops, seed potatoes and micropropagation were added as programs in the 1980s. During the 1990s, the Centre continued to expand with the addition of the apiculture and special/new crops programs.

On April 1, 1997, the Centre's role in the production and distribution of shelterbelt trees was discontinued with the privatization of the program.

Today, CDCN offers a range of scientific and technical expertise in the areas of pathology, apiculture, seed potatoes, special crops, pulse crops and crops for industrial uses.

 
 
 
 

Other Documents in the Series

 
  Crop Diversification Centre North
Crop Diversification Centre North - History - Current Document
 
 
 
 
Share via AddThis.com
For more information about the content of this document, contact Nicole Kimmel.
This document is maintained by Stacey Tames.
This information published to the web on September 18, 2002.
Last Reviewed/Revised on September 5, 2007.