Main Page | Resources | Glossary | Industry Links
The following is a list of business resources for entrepreneurs in Alberta. This is not a comprehensive list and in addition to organizations and departments who work with entrepreneurs, there are also numerous publications, journals, reference materials and websites that can provide important information for new venture success.
Educational websites | Newsletters | News | Publications | Directories | Contacts and websites
- Stage Gate Inc. - Stage-Gate Inc. is the world's leading full-service provider of solutions, which enable organizations to improve their Product Innovation and Portfolio Management capabilities
- The Donald Cooper Cooperation – This site discusses the complex issues of marketing, service and business excellence and houses free articles for business reference
- Food News – Published by Alberta Agriculture and Food, this newsletter includes news and information for Alberta’s growing agri-processing industry
- Food Safety Newsletter – This newsletter is designed to provide information and education for provincially licensed meat facilities personnel and inspectors
- Green Matters - Green Matters provides a forum for discussion of environmental issues in Alberta's agriculture and food processing industry
- Agri-News - Agri-News is a news package published each Monday that has information of interest to Albertans on agriculture, food and beverage production, marketing, research, provincial events and policy
- Call of the Land - Call of the Land is a five day-a-week radio program produced by Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development. It has stories on technology, research, production methods and marketing trends, as well as government programs and policies.
- Ag-Alternative Factsheets - Ag Alternatives is a series of factsheets which may help you systematically evaluate your ideas. Each topic includes worksheets so you can apply the information to your own situation
- AG-Profit$ Factsheets
These factsheets provide economic information on specific diversification enterprises:
Food Processing Publications
- Alberta Farmers' Markets - A listing of approved farmers' markets scheduled in Alberta, including days on which markets are operating
- Coming Events - A listing of events of interest to Alberta's agriculture and food industry
- Programs and Services - This directory provides information and links to a wide variety of programs and services available to the agriculture industry in Alberta. Provincial and federal government as well as many industry organizations offer these services. The directory includes programs aimed at farmers and primary production, as well as those that foster development and growth in Alberta's food and ag processing industries
Contacts & Websites
- Woodlot/Forestry Directory - The Woodlot directory in Alberta provides a list of the organizations or individuals who are working directly with woodlot owners
- Agriculture Financial Services Corporation (AFSC) - A provincial crown corporation with a private sector Board of Directors that provides farmers, agribusinesses and other small businesses loans, crop insurance and farm income disaster assistance
- Alberta Bed & Breakfast Association – This is a non-profit association whose purpose is to further the Bed and Breakfast industry in Alberta by promoting high standards, cooperative marketing, government liaison, and other key issues
- Alberta Farm Fresh Producers Association (AFPA) - AFFPA is dedicated to supporting the production of farm direct market vegetable crops, berry and fruit crops, bedding plants, perennials, herbs, flowers, meats, poultry, eggs and other specialty items in Alberta
- Alberta Farmers' Market Association – The Alberta Farmers' Market is a provincial organization providing leadership and support to member markets, managers and vendors through education and promotion. This site has great information for shoppers, vendors and markets in Alberta
- Alberta Food Processors Association (AFPA)– AFPA is a non-profit organization representing all segments of the food and beverage industry: growers, processors, retailers, food service buyers and service suppliers
- Alberta Greenhouse Growers Association – AGGA supports the greenhouse industry in Alberta by providing educational workshops and seminars, research updates, newsletters, and marketing resources
- Alberta Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) - If you are a woman who is serious about starting or expanding her own business, the Alberta Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) has services designed to help you take action
- Growing Forward - Alberta - Growing forward is an agreement between the federal, provincial, and territorial governments to collaboratively work together to address common issues, discuss concerns, and provide programs and initiatives to Canada's agriculture industry.
- New Ventures Team - The New Venture Team with Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development provides coaching to start up businesses and those looking to add another enterprise to their existing business. They can assist you with market and customer information; production and processing information; business plan development; marketing; financial planning; regulations and legislation; pricing and cost of production
- Starting a Business – This site from the Government of Canada will help you find essential business start-up information from the federal and provincial governments, as well as many other sources
Phone the Ag-Info Centre
, toll-free in Alberta at 310-FARM (3276), for assistance.
This document is produced in cooperation with