Questions and Answers

Subscribe to our free E-Newsletter, "Agri-News" (formerly RTW This Week)Agri-News
This Week
Farm Safety Home Page

The following are common questions about public road requirements.

When must I use my lights?
When you move equipment at night or during reduced visibility conditions, all mandated lights must be operational and illuminated.

Can I use flood lamps or general service lamps on public roads?
No, flood lamps and general service lamps are designed to illuminate the machine or field work. Front-facing flood lamps must be aimed downward and to the right to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. Rear-facing service or flood lamps must be off when travelling on public roads. Exception: a work lamp may be used to light the extremities of a dozer blade. Lamps must be aimed at the extremities of the blade.

What are the requirements for transporting dangerous goods?
The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations promotes safety in the handling and transporting of dangerous goods. There are many exemptions in the regulations to ease the movement of essential dangerous goods used in the agricultural industry. These exemptions remove all or some of the requirements of the legislation depending upon the circumstances. For example:
  • Quantities of dangerous goods for agricultural purposes up to 1,500 kilograms are exempt from the regulations within 100 kilometres (60 miles) of the farm in farm registered vehicles.
  • Gasoline and diesel in tidy tanks up to 2,000 litres (440 gallons) that are secured to the vehicle are exempt from documentation and training if they have the correct safety marks visible.
A technical bulletin is available to all in the agricultural industry detailing both the requirements and the exemptions that are specific to the industry. The bulletin “Dangerous Goods and the Agricultural Industry” is available by calling toll free 1-800-272-9600 within the province or 780-422-9600.

I want to hard wire my own lights. What are the standardized wiring connections?
The wiring diagram in Figure 11 details the industry standardized wiring connections used on manufactured agricultural machinery. At minimum, terminals 1, 3, 5 and 6 should be wired. Also, the receptacle is installed on the towing vehicle, while the plug is installed on the towed implement.

Figure 11: Industry Standard Wiring Connections for Seven-pin Agricultural Connectors

White #1 - Ground
Black #2
Yellow #3 - LH Flashing and Turn
Red #4
Green #5 - RH Flashing and Turn
Brown #6 - Tail Lamp
Blue #7
At a minimum, terminals 1, 3, 5 and 6 must be active on the propelling machine.

Note: For more information on wiring, contact your equipment dealer.

Back to main document

Other Documents in the Series

  Safe Transportation of Farm Equipment - Section 2
Responsibility for Meeting Regulated Requirements
Daytime Travel
Night-Time Travel
Questions and Answers - Current Document
Share via
For more information about the content of this document, contact Kenda Lubeck.
This information published to the web on March 26, 2009.
Last Reviewed/Revised on October 24, 2017.