Crop Returns: information page
Crop Returns Spreadsheet – Crop Enterprise Analysis Tool
What is Crop Returns? | Crop Returns Features | System requirements | Links | Feedback and Questions | Download Crop Returns
Crop Returns – Downloadable Excel Spreadsheet Calculator
Crop Returns helps managers to evaluate crop enterprise profitability by calculating production costs, breakeven selling prices, gross margins, and returns to equity. It is available for free download from this web page.
What is Crop Returns?
Crop Returns is an excel spreadsheet template that calculates production costs, breakeven selling prices and expected financial returns for a grain farming enterprise. It also includes a unique and powerful fertilizer cost calculator that solves for least cost fertilizer commodities and commodity blends. The partial budget or crop enterprise model provides a framework for farmers to build a base scenario and then analyze that scenario with respect to different commodity prices or changes to production costs and expected yields. Expected profitability can be calculated using the producer’s own production systems and risk sensitivity can be done using alternative price and yield scenarios.
Crop Returns Features
- Crop Returns incorporates your own production systems, and key variables such as fertilizer prices, fuel prices, expected yields, and selling prices.
- Crop Returns adds flexibility to the calculation process by allowing user inputs for operating cost items and expected production results. Breakeven selling prices contribution margin, gross margin and return to equity are some key results. All costs are shown in ‘$ per acre’ and ‘total enterprise costs’.
- Crop Returns can assist in comparing the risks and returns from various cash rental and crop share lease arrangements.
- Crop Returns calculates fertilizer costs from user specified N-P-K-S requirements in a separate worksheet. A least-cost blend of fertilizer is calculated using the specified requirements and individual ingredient costs. Other important results are dry blend formulations that show individual ingredient and total applied pounds per acre.
- Crop Returns is designed for quick ‘what-if’ type analyses. For example: What if input prices go up? What if yields or prices don’t meet my expectations? Where should I place selling price orders so that I don’t lose money? The list goes on and on.
- Users can also do comparative or multi-year analyses by copying an initial worksheet into a new worksheet tab using the instructions provided.
- Crop Returns has example numbers included so new users can quickly see the power of the analysis in just a few minutes. Instructions are included in cell notes for quick reference.
- Pentium with Intel, Celeron or AMD Processor.
- Windows 2000, XP or Vista.
- Microsoft Excel – Note: Microsoft Works is not sufficient.
Crop Returns was produced by Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development's Livestock and Farm Business Branch with input from the Economics Unit.
Feedback and Questions
- CropChoice$ - crop risk analysis software
- AgriProfit$ - AgriProfit$ economic, financial & business management information for Alberta beef producers
To provide feedback or if you have any questions please contact:
The Alberta Ag-Info Centre
Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development
Phone: 310-FARM (3276).
This information is maintained by Bruce Viney
Last Revised/Reviewed June 25, 2012Top of Document