| ||The Alberta Livestock Manifest is for the transportation of cattle, horses and sheep as authorized by the Livestock Identification and Commerce Act (LICA) and General Regulation. Alberta’s delegated authority, Livestock Identification Services Ltd. (LIS), is responsible for all transportation documentation under LICA, including the Alberta Livestock Manifest.
- Subject to a few exceptions, a livestock manifest is required to transport or drive cattle and sheep within Alberta and to inspection sites (abattoirs, livestock markets, livestock assembly stations, feedlots and country sales). A livestock manifest is not required to transport a horse within Alberta unless the horse is being transported to an inspection site or for sale or slaughter.
- A livestock manifest should not be used if the livestock is accompanied with a livestock permit or a special permit.
- A livestock permit is required for cattle and horses to leave inspection sites where livestock has been inspected.
- Contact your local LIS Field Office to arrange to have your cattle and horses inspected and a livestock permit or special permit issued prior to transporting the livestock out of Alberta.
- The owner or dealer, transporter and the person receiving the livestock are each required to complete their Parts of the livestock manifest and to retain their copy of the livestock manifest for 10 years.
- If livestock is being transported for sale the owner must complete the Livestock Security Interest Declaration on the livestock manifest (Part F) or a separate Livestock Security Interest Declaration and provide the Declaration to the person paying the sale proceeds to the owner.
- Where livestock of more than one owner is transported or driven together, separate livestock manifests or permits must accompany the livestock. The livestock of each owner must be distinctively identified to readily distinguish the livestock belonging to one owner from the livestock belonging to other owners.
Please review the downloadable file for instructions on to how to complete the Alberta Livestock Manifest.
Alberta Livestock Manifest books are supplied by LIS and are available throughout the province from LIS Field Offices, auction markets and AF Field Offices. To find the closest traceability service provider to you, please visit www.agriculture.alberta.ca/traceabilityconnects.
For more information regarding the Alberta Livestock Manifest or movement requirements under the Livestock Identification and Commerce Act, contact your local LIS Livestock Inspector or the LIS Head Office toll free at 1-866-509-2088. For more information on LIS and the services they provide, please visit their website at www.lis-alberta.com.